The main duties of the Finance, General Purposes & Strategic Committee are to: monitor monthly accounts including payment and revenue records; consider annual Council budgets for referral to Council for approval; authorise and monitor non-budgeted expenditure up to £5,000; oversee investment accounts, taxation and excise duties, banking arrangements; approve appointment of auditors; accept gifts and legacies on behalf of the community; approve purchase, lease and rental of land and buildings; consider items relating to CIL expenditure in accordance with current Financial Regulations. It will also deal with strategic matters such as:-
- Making recommendations to council regarding status of a committee/sub-committee/working group;
- making recommendations to council re. adopting and changing Standing Orders/Financial Regulations; agreeing and/or amending Terms of Reference and their composition;
- making recommendations to council in relation to major civic matters as thought to be appropriate;
- monitor progress and implementation of the ‘Localism Bill’;
- oversee council communications such as campaigns, leaflets, newsletters, press and other media, publicity and public information including website creation; lead the community planning process and develop a plan for approval by council;
- lead and develop the council service plan for approval by council; make recommendations regarding budgetary and policy requirements for future years in relation to council plans;
- approval of councillor training proposals.
This Committee will also oversee the planning, organisation and monitoring of regular civic functions, such as Mayor’s Sunday, Mayor’s Ball, Mayor/Mayoress’s “At Home”, and to identify any ‘one- off’ civic functions or receptions.
Application for Community Grant
An information sheet showing details of a community grant that is available to voluntary and community organisations within the Morley Town Council area can be downloaded below, together with an application form.